Friday, July 22, 2011

wants and needs.

Today I have been thinking a lot about the difference between wants and needs. If there is really a difference at all. 

 

All day I have found myself thinking "I need them," then, like I parent correcting a child, I remind myself that I do not "need" them, I "want" them.  (You do not "need" that video game, you "want" it.)

But I wonder if in some cases there is really isn't  a difference. No, I do not need my parents to physically survive, I want them. But what about emotionally? Emotionally I feel as though I need them. I know that I will technically survive without them. But, in what condition? Will I be a better person? A stronger person? Or, will I come out irreversible broken? That outcome has yet to be seen. 

What has got me thinking about this today while yesterday seemed to be a good day?
For the last 3 days I have been in a lot of physical pain, normal at this stage of pregnancy. My doctor's advice is to stay off of my feet as much as possible. Not exactly easy to do with a 18 month old. A very active 18 month old. And of course, I hate having a messy house. So, all day I have been thinking, "I need them." Not because I would expect them to be here cleaning my house and taking care of my child. But because the only thing I can think of that would make me feel better is laying on my parents' couch watching a movie with my mom, while my dad and Izabella are outside swinging watching the traffic go by...

No comments:

Post a Comment